What is a KittenKnuckle?

My photo
Tacoma, WA, United States
Simple things make me happy, life is too hard.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

And then there was KraftyKnuckles

I'm not the most focused person. I can't deside on one craft, one project, one goal. I want to do it all. I take things apart, put them together, figure how how they work, discover their mystery then in a creative way I remake it. In my way.

One of my favorite parts of the Mr. Rogers show was "How People Make Things". He would take us on a tour showing us where useful items come from, how they are made and who makes them. He'd show how everything has a beginning, middle, and end. How things take time to accomplish and that we shouldn't give up so easily when we're frustrated in our work. I think Radiolab has been an adult replacement for my Mr. Rogers craving. Radiolab could be the How Poeple Make Things show for the Mr Rogers generation of the 70s-80s.

I've always been crafty. My first memory of serious craftiness started when I had to have a bubble skirt when I was about 13. It was goldenrod yellow with big black polka dots. In the process my mom taught me to sew. Sewing is still a large part of my repertoire even though I'm not the most skilled seamstress. To be honest I'm not the most skilled anything. I have not found that yet and I'm happy to keep trying. I have had many creative ventures since trying to make things instead of buying them from the store. About 10 years ago I started making bracelet cuffs from used belts.




More recently I've been studying primitive skills and herbalism. I was lead to primitive skills by the yearning to hand weave a basket for my bike. This quest has sent me in a whole new direction. While searching for basket weaving classes in my area I found primitive skills schools in my area Earthwalk Northwest, Cedar Mountain Herb School and Wolf College. They have totally changed my life. Like hiking and backpacking I wish I would have discovered these 'focuses'  sooner. I have taken a few classes that have inspired me to infuse art into everyday useful every items.

Beginning weaving, cedar around a river rock. No, not much purpose but it was a fun place to start.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment