What is a KittenKnuckle?

My photo
Tacoma, WA, United States
Simple things make me happy, life is too hard.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

YummilyDistractedKnuckles

I have a lot going on in my personal life right now which is making it difficult for me to focus on crafts and my new business. I have a ton of projects I want to work on but my mind just won't go there. One of the issues I'm facing is surgery in a couple of weeks. I've been thinking about optimizing my body's ability to heal. I've been loading up on antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and protein to boost my immune system. I did some research on suggested diets for pre/post surgery and wound healing. I'm already on right track due to the special diet for my GERD.  I'm eating extra healthy - organic, juicing and smoothies. I'm also taking a supplement of vitamin C, bromelain, tumeric and citris bioflavonoid. I'm trying to be extra careful about what goes into my body.

One of my favorite crafts is cooking. When I cook I often use recipes as a guide or a suggestion. I like to experiment or add my favorite foods in place of ingredients the recipe calls for. Have you ever made up a dish with just your favorite foods? YUM! Get creative.

Last year when I was on the elimination diet trying to narrow down my food allergies I was stifled by the restrictions until I discovered several recipes that blew my taste buds away and opened my mind to new ways to use food. Who needs bread when you have collard greens or quinoa?! Yuck you say? Collard greens don't always have to be a sloppy, mushy mess and quinoa doesn't always have to be in a bland salad. A friend suggested a recipe from the blog The Daily Dietribe. She is a self professed as honest, silly an awkward which I relate to 100%. I haven't read all her blogs but so far the recipes I have tried and loved are the Collard Green Wraps and Quinoa Pizza. By the way I'm allergic to beans and eggs which means I'm hardly ever allergen free, but I'm working on it.

Tonight I made the collard green wraps with my own twist.

For the spread - roasted brussel sprouts, carrots, sweet potatoes, garlic and fresh basil, oregano. Fresh on the inside - radish sprouts, tomatoes,carrots, asiago cheese and avacado. All wraped in blanched collard greens. So yummy! You have to try it to believe it. For a side, sauteed chanterelles.

 


Love pizza but hate the heavy full feeling you get after eating it? Then try this Quinoa Pizza recipe. It's easier and by far tastier then traditional pizza. Here is a picture from the first time I made it with cilantro garlic crust. Topped with homemade heirloom tomato sauce, ground buffalo, almond cheese and avacado.
I implore you to try any recipe or one from The Daily Dietribe but use ingredients that you love. Don't forget to tell me how it turns out.

Factiod Outro: Quinoa's protein content is very high (14% by mass), good source of dietary fiber, phosphorus and is high in magnesium, calcium, and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration human occupied spaceflights. Remember to soak or rise your quinoa before you cook it.

Love & good eats-
KittenKnuckles

1 comment:

  1. you are making me very hungry! i think i'm gonna take you wrap idea and try it with cabbage or kale.

    ReplyDelete